Friday, March 5, 2010

Packing away ugly…unpacking fun.

I bought two ugly blue suitcases on Craigslist last weekend.  I knew I wanted to use one of them next to my chair in my 2nd living area.  I have seen old suitcases painted, but I wasn’t sure how these things would hold up against a can of spray paint.  For $10 it was worth finding out.

Here is one of them in the not so beautiful blue vinyl or plastic.  I am not really sure what  material was used to make these things.

002

Here is the new suitcase contrasting the old suitcase.

003

004

I painted the suitcase with Rust-Oleum satin moss green spray paint and then used Folk Art acrylic paint in Burnt Umber for the edges, metal latches, handle and for the diamond pattern.  I used a stencil to make the diamonds.  I then dry brushed the same acrylic paint all over to give it an aged look.  I wish I had used olive green paint instead of moss green, but this will do.  I am not doing those diamonds again!

Here is the suitcase in it’s new home.  You can see why I wish I had gone with more of an olive color when you see it next to the chair.

005

010

UPDATE!!!

I woke up not liking the green so I took out my handy bottle of Folk Art Antiquing Polish in Brown and used the last of it.

008  

Sniff Sniff.  I can’t find anymore of this stuff anywhere.  I knew it would make the green a darker richer green without having to repaint the whole thing.  It worked.  I like it much better now.  Don’t you hate when you wake up not happy with a project!?!

Now I am happy.

001

003

 

Linking to:

Under $100 party @ Beyond the Picket Fence

Share your story Friday’s @ Remodelaholics Anonymous

I’m a Creative Cat @ Poppies at Play

Show and Tell at the My Romantic Home

Frugalicious Fridays at Finding Fabulous

Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors

Making it for Monday @ Cottage Instincts

Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping it Simple

Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On the Porch

I made it without my hubby @ Shanty2Chic

Do it yourself day @ A Soft Place To Land

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails