Friday, January 29, 2010

Blizzards, burlap and blisters.

For the last two days we have been snowed in. We had about a foot of snow with deep drifts. School has been canceled for the last two days and I only had to work half a day yesterday. Here's the snow.



This is my son enjoying his day off school. He loves our gas logs and his Ipod he got for Christmas.




I keep seeing all the burlap on different blogs so I bought some at Walmart. I was wearing a black hoodie and held my burlap to my body while I browsed. I got to the checkout and noticed that burlap really really sheds. I looked like I had held the mangiest dog or cat and it shed all it's hair on me. It made me wonder why it was such a hot decorating item. I brought it home and kept it covered in the Walmart bag and left it in the close for weeks. Today I decided I had lots of time to vacuum and took my burlap out of the closet and out of the bag. I used the burlap to make a tag for some pottery, a burlap ball, and I redid a lamp. It shed but not as bad as I thought it would. I made the lamp for my sister. It isn't one of my best projects, but I have never recovered a lamp shade and I had all of the items I used so it was a free learning experience. I also have been inspired by Kirsty at A Little Bit of Sanity and A Lot of Chaos She showed how to use several items to make Pottery Barn inspired home decor. You glue your items together, spray paint and then glaze. I gave it a try. It was so easy, but I never would have thought of it on my own. I needed some items to go with the lamp. When this snow goes away I will take them to my sister's house and see how they look.








This ugly chair was one of my projects to do by the fire today.




I bought it from Craig's List. I wanted an inexpensive chair to experiment how to recover furniture. The staples on this thing are terrible. Removing them causes blisters and sore hands. I have decided to remove a few at a time. I am not sure when or if the finished project will ever show up on here. I am not sure if it will ever get finished. I tried to talk Dan into taking it to the fire station so he would have a project to work on in the evenings. He said NO!






I really hope the streets clear up. I am ready to get out of this house and away from this fire tomorrow.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails